JOHN JACK, attorney-at-law at Cave in Rock, Hardin County, is a son of William C. Jack, a native of Alabama, born in that State in April, 1809, and brought upon a farm. At an early day he removed to Gibson County, Tenn., settled on a farm, and remained there until October, 1837, when he removed to Illinois and entered land, covered with timber, in Williamson County. The only improvement of any kind on this land was the log cabin erected by Mr. Jack. He cleared up his farm and lived upon it until 1857, when he removed to Johnson County, and bought a farm, upon which he lived the rest of his life, dying in 1875. He was married in 1831 to Malinda Glasscock, of Tennessee, by whom he had eleven children, viz: John, the subject of this sketch ; William, a farmer of Williamson County; Jasper and Carroll, deceased; Noah N., a farmer of Johnson County; Marshall, deceased; Alonzo. a farmer of Johnson County; Melissa, deceased; Ellen, wife of Thomas Trowel; Amanda, wife of A. Futrel; and Emma, wife of Tine Boles, a fanner of Williamson County.
John Jack was born in Gibson County, Tenn. October 27, 1832. He was reared on his father's farm, and obtained his education in a three-months subscription school, taught in one of the pioneer log schoolhouses. In 1837 he came with his father to Illinois, and started out in life for himself in 1849. He returned to Gibson County, Tenn., where he attended school six months, working at hard labor in order to pay his tuition. In 1850 he returned to his home in Illinois, and became a clerk in a store at a salary of $4 per month. Remaining in this store two years, he went to Anna, Ill., and worked in a saloon one month, when he went to work on the Illinois Central Railroad as a brakeman, continuing thus engaged one year. He then went to work in a sawmill, and remained in the mill and timber business until 1857, after which he bought land in Johnson County, working his farm in the summers and leaching school in winters until 1862, when he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Illinois Infantry, serving until April 4, 1863, when he was discharged on account of ill-health. He removed to Hardin County in 1864, and for some time followed farming. In 1865 he was elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction, and held the office two terms for four years each. He served as Justice of the Peace for several years, and from his court no appeal was ever taken. In 1880 he removed to Cave in Rock, and was engaged in the drug business there one year. He then engaged in general merchandising, and in 1885 he was appointed Postmaster, serving for four years. He had studied law several years when admitted to the Bar in 1889, and has continued in practice ever since, winning quite a reputation as an attorney. He was married March 16, 1856, to Martha E. Harris, daughter of John Harris, of Tennessee, but has had no children. He is a member of Lodge No. 444, A. F. & A. M., and is an Odd Fellow. In politics he is a Democrat, and he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Extracted from Biographical Review of Johnson, Massac, Pope, and Hardin Counties, Illinois, published in 1893, page 371
|Livingston KY Crittenden KY|