Thanks to Hal Ledbetter for contributing this Bible record. Here's Hal's
I have attached the John Ledbetter bible transcript. John Ledbetter lived in Hardin Co, Illinois off Highway 1 north of Cave-in-rock. The old homestead was off a road from Hwy 1 by the Old Mount Zion Church. My father was born in the old home in 1883. It burned sometime in the 1980's.
When I was a teenager in Southern Illinois, I saw an old bible at my aunts
house, Eliza Ann Elizabeth LEDBETTER LEWIS, at Cave-in-rock, Hardin County,
Illinois. This was in the 1940's. The bible was falling apart at that time.
I do not know how old the bible was. I would guess that the bible was
purchased in the mid 1800s. I do not know the true origin as who
purchased it or on what date.
At the death of my aunt, Mrs. LEWIS, in 1967, my father, Charles LEDBETTER received the bible and disposed of the bible except for the family records. At the death of my father in 1970, my brother George R. LEDBETTER of Rolla, Missouri received the family record pages. I, Harold G. LEDBETTER, received the pages in 1971. I still retain the original pages. In transcribing I have tried to copy the exact spelling and entries as they appear in the bible record. My editing or additional information appears in Parenthesis. My father, Charles Marion Ledbetter provided some of the information on the names before he died in 1970.
The bible record starts with John LEDBETTER of Hardin County, Illinois. According to the book "LEDBETTERS From Virginia" by Roy C. LEDBETTER, William R. LEDBETTER, Justus R. MOLL, and James D. Tillman Jr. published in 1969, John LEDBETTER moved with his father, John C. LEDBETTER, to Hardin County Illinois in about 1826 from Tennessee. I now believe this to be untrue due to the testimony of my grandfather, Matthew Ledbetter in the Belt-Hambrink murder trial of Hardin County, Illinois in the 1880's. Matthew testified that his father was John, and his grandfather was James. Since the court records have been destroyed, the Belt-Hambrink trial testimony can be found in the book "The Life of Logan Belt" by Shadrack Jackson. I am still trying to identify the James Ledbetter, father of John. He is unknown at this time.
I can provide computer scanned images of the original pages if desired.
Harold G. Ledbetter
1. John LEDBETTER was borne in the Year of Our Lord 186 (1806) November 15th
2. Elizabeth LEDBETTER (Elizabeth H. WRIGHT) was born the Year of Our Lord 1811 December the 9.
3. James Alx (Alexander) LEDBETTER was born in the Year of Our Lord May the 5 1829.
4. William J. LEDBETTER was born in the Year of Our Lord July the 27 1831.
5. Frances S. (Sina) LEDBETTER was born in the Year of Our Lord March the 4th 1833.
6. R. H. LEDBETTER (Robert Henry) was born in the Year of Our Lord March the 7th 1835.
7. Meary E. LEDBETTER (Mary Ellen) was born in the Year of Our Lord February the 16 1838.
6. Tabitha Run LEDBETTER was born in the Year of Our Lord August the 15th 1840.
9. Nancy J. LEDBETTER (Nancy Jane) was born in the Year of Our Lord November the 16 1844.
10. Matthew LEDETTER was born in the Year of Our Lord Meay the 4 1846
11. Arter (Arthur) LEDBETTER was boren in the Year of Our Lord June the 21 1849.
12. Ruthey S. T. (Ruth Selestina or Celestina) LEDBETTER was born in the Year of Our Lord November the 28 1853.
13. Meary (Mary) LEDBETTER was born in the Year of Our Lord February the 28 1876
14. Charloote LEDBETTER (Charlotte Marie PALMER) was borned inn the Year of our Lord Jannar (January) the l2 1844. (Wife of Matthew)
15. John William LEDBETTER was bornd in the Year of Our Lord December the 4 1669.
16. Eliza Ann Elizabeth LEDBETTER was boned in the Year of Our Lord March the 18 1872.
17. Leonia Franses LEDBETTER was bornd in the Year of Our Lord January the 7 1874.
18. Oysker (Oscar) Culumbes LEDBETTER was borned in the Year of Our Lord December the 28 1876.
19. Dora Elen LEDBETTER was horned in the Year of Our Lord May the 9 1878.
20. Rosey Ztty LEDBETTER (Rosetta) was borned in the Year of Our Lord January the 13 1880.
21. Pronetty LEDBETTER was horned in the Year of Our Lord January the 13 1880.
22. Charles Marien LEDBETTER was borned inn the Year of Our Lord Febuary the 5 1883.
23. Dolley Bell LEDBETTER was borned inn the Year of Our Lord Sept the 20 1886.
1. John LEDBETTER was marrid to Ellizabeth WRIGHT in the Year of Our Lord
May the 4 1828
2. J. A. LEDBETTER (James Alexander) was marrid to Salisna T. LEDBETTER (Salista Thurman LOWRY) in the Year of Our Lord Febuary 2 1853.
3. Sina LEDBETTER (Frances Sina) marrid to Luke HAMBRINK April the 12 1855.
4. R. H. LEDBETTER (Robert Henry) was marrid to Manirvy BOYD December the 3 1855.
5. Mary E. LEDBETTER was marrid to John FRAILEY Octtober 26 1856.
6. Nancy J. LEDBETTER was marrid to Allen HOBBS February the 18 1863.
7. Tabitha Ann LEDBETTER was marrid to James LOWRY (?).
8. Dora Elln LEDBETTER marred to Reed DISBROW Dec 10 1899.
9. Mathey LEDBETTER was marrid to Sharlet PALMORE Octtober the l 2 1865.
10. R. H. LEDBETTER (Robert Henry) was marrid to Rebecky TUCKER March 25 1865.
11. Tabitha Ann LOWRY (?) was marrid to Richard VALDOURE Sept 8 1868.
12. Ruthey S. T. LEDBETTER was marrid to Marlen DEVERS Sept the 24 1868.
13. Arter (Arthur) LEDBETTER was marrid to Biller HUGHES March the 14 1868.
14. Mathew LEDBETTER married to Mary LEEPER November 8 1917.
1. William J. LEDBETTER died in the Year of Our Lord 14 May 1848
2 Elizabeth LEDBETTER (Wife of John) died the 17 day of Octtober 1884.
3. John LEDBETTER died in the Year of Our Lord July the 2 1885.
4. Mary E. LEDBETTER departed this life Feb 6 1908.
5. Leonia Franses LEDBETTER departed this life December the 6 A D 1876.
6. Pronetty LEDBETTER departed this life August the 24 A D 1885.
7. John W. LEDBETTER departed this life June the 13 A D 1889.
8. Osker C. LEDBETTER departed this life June the 13 A D 1889.
9. Dollie Bell LEDBETTER departed this life Jan 9 A D 1912.
10. Charlotte M. LEDBETTER (Wife of Mathew) departed this life November 17 A D 1914.
|Livingston KY Crittenden KY|